251. Which types of rocks are mainly found in the Himalayan ranges?
252. The Third world comprises approximately % of world’s human race?
253. The inclination of the earth’s axis to the orbital plane is:
(a) 21 ½
(b) 23 ½
(c) 66 ½
254. “Mohs Scale” is used to indicate the:
(a) Degree of brittleness of a substance
(b) Degree of hardness of minerals.
(c) Degree of viscosity of a liquid
(d) Degree of elasticity of a material
255. What can be the maximum duration of totality for a solar eclipse?
(a) 12.5 minutes
(b) 7 minutes 40 seconds
(c) 1 hour 40 seconds
(d) There is no maximum duration
256. The total surface area of earth is:
(a) 510 million sq km
(b) 610 million sq km
(c) 710 million sq km
(d) 810 million sq km
257. What is the approximate equatorial circumference of the earth?
(a) 30,000 Km
(b) 35.000 Km
(c) 40000 Km
(d) 45000 Km
258. The Earth rotates around an axis pointing towards:
(a) The moon
(b) The pole star
(c) The sun
259. Latitude of place is indicative of it’s:
(c) Amount of rainfall
260. The upper part of the mantle upon which the crust of the Earth floats is called:
(c) Mohorovic discontinuity
261. Which one of the following is present in the largest amount in terms of percent by mass in the earth’s crust?
262. The difference in the duration of day and night increases as one move from
(a) West to east
(b) East and west of the prime meridian
(c) Pokes to equator
(d) Equator to poles
263. The sun reaches its maximum angular distance from the equator at the:
264. Latitude and Longitude both:
(a) Pass through poles
(b) Run parallel to the equator
(c) Run parallel to each other
(d) Run perpendicular to each other
265. The distance of the equator from either of the poles is:
(a) 500 km
(b) 5001 km
(c) 10,002 km
(d) 36,005 km
266. The term Scandinavian Countries is used for which of the following countries?
(a) Finland, Ireland and Denmark
(b) Sweden, Russia and Norway
(c) Norway, Sweden and Denmark
(d) Iceland, Finland and England
287. Japan is called land of the rising sun’ because:
(a) Sun rises there as soon as it sets
(b) Sun always remains in the eastern part of the sky throughout the day in Japan
(c) Japan being the easternmost country in the World, it has the earliest sunrise
(d) The rays of the sun get reflected from the waters of the sea and make the sunrise beautiful in Japan
268. The distance between the earth and the sun is smallest in the month of:
269. Why are winters more severe in Southern Hemisphere than in the Northern Hemisphere?
(a) Earth is tilted towards the Sun in the northern Hemisphere
(b) Northern Hemisphere receives more sunlight
(c) Because of more iceberg activity in Southern Hemisphere
(d) Southern Hemisphere is less inhabited
270. If a traveler going from Vancouver to Tokyo crosses the International Date Line on Saturday, what will be the day for him at Tokyo?
271. A one-day Cricket match between Pakistan and England starts at 10 00 A M. in London. The direct telecast of the match will begin in Pakistan at:
(c) 3.30 P.M.
(d) 9.30 P.M.
272. At which of the following places watches will show 500 A.M, when it is 12.00 midnight G.M.T.?
(c) New York
273. In how many time zones has the world been divided?
274. Through which one of the following countries the Tropic of Cancer does not pass through?
275. All the watches of a country re set according to
(a) Local time
(b) Standard time of the country
(c) Greenwich mean time
(d) Time of sunrise and sunset